06 December 2008

The adventure continues

Ack. What a day. I LOVE that the Lima airport has free wi-fi, and the only airport I've ever been in in the States that does is JFK. Every hotel we stayed at and visited had free wi-fi, too - at least in the lobby, if not in all the rooms. I think the US has some catching up to do.

We had another late-ish start this morning (was that really only this morning??), and met Fabrizio at eight-thirty to start our walking tour of colonial Cuzco. We visited Coricancha and the main cathedral, then did another couple of hotel visits. After that we headed to the airport for our flight to Lima, then checked into our hotel. I had heard it before, but it's kind of true: there's not much that's attractive about Lima. An unfair statement given the amount of time I spent there and the amount of the city I saw, to be sure.

Dinner was at a lovely restaurant right on the water, then we dropped Deborah off at the hotel before I was whisked away to the airport. Check-in was of course a nightmare. I don't know why South American countries do this, but you have to queue up in this enormous, snaking line in order to answer those stupid questions the US finally got rid of after September 11 before you can even check in. Who packed your bags? Have your bags been out of your possession since you packed them? Are you carrying any restricted items? So it was about forty minutes to that check point, then another half hour to actually check my bag. Grrrrr... Let's also discuss how the smoking lounge is directly across from my gate, with doors W I D E O P E N. The point of having a smoking lounge is...? I'm gagging on smoke - and Peru is not a big smoking country. Let's also discuss how both in Buenos Aires and here I am not able to bring on a bottle of water that I have bought after security. What a crock.

Okay, enough griping. I'm going to sit back and try to enjoy the feeling of being on my way home. (I'd post from Miami, but my layover is brief and I know they don't have free wi-fi.)

No comments: